Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm a Black guy into metal!

Here's a rough view into my life after metal joined my world.

Phil 98?

    I've been this way since I was 12. Ever since my cousin and I saw bill & teds excellent adventure. We loved that movie, then on day we saw the trailer for the bogus journey. We saw it the day it came out. For the next 2 wks you would of thought our Queens NY asses were from San Dimas. He went back to listening to rap after that, i stayed there. I wanted more B&T stuff I devoured everything I could. The comic, the playing cards & the sound track. The cassette tape changed my life. Up till then all I listened to was my moms Motown records and movie tv scores. Then vh1 came around and found the Monkees and Aerosmith.

Chino '99

       That sdtk had everything! Megadeth, Faith No More, Primus, Kings X, Kiss, etc.. They had the lyrics to every song. So I was able to follow along regardless of the vocals. Megadeth go to hell was my 1st metal song. I was hooked! All I knew was Megadeth till High School. In Jr h.s. I had no one to talk metal with. Then I met the metal kids at h.s. was shown more metal.

The Man, Alex WInter! '09 

       All the metal kids I met were not all white, we were a bunch of everything. It was a total acceptance, a family like bond I never felt before. Nobody cared what I looked like.  No ones birth background was an issue. 'You like metal? Cool me too! I like so n so'  Then when I was 15, I Started playing drums. I Played with Biohazard, Hatebreed, Skinlab, Mortician and tons of others. I also met some of my best friends through music.

Ice T '04

       My mom was fine with me listening to metal, I was a pretty good kid stayed outta the trouble. Only my cousins and their friends ever gave me grief for my musical choices. As they got older the got used to it and even came a a few shows i did.
Dave Ghrol, 95

     The way I looked at it is you hear music before you see it. Doesn't matter what the artist looks like if their Musics good that's all that matters. Now 'Back in my day" I was one of the few  black people at shows, nowadays its such a mash up of people at shows. Its a none issue; Its a great thing.  My experience in metal has been pretty awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment